跪求大神翻译,是圣安地列斯不死秘籍秘籍,手机版的

跪求大神翻译~_翻译吧_百度贴吧
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&签到排名:今日本吧第个签到,本吧因你更精彩,明天继续来努力!
本吧签到人数:0成为超级会员,使用一键签到本月漏签0次!成为超级会员,赠送8张补签卡连续签到:天&&累计签到:天超级会员单次开通12个月以上,赠送连续签到卡3张
关注:54,907贴子:
跪求大神翻译~收藏
When the big mountaineer took the short cut through Mutton Hollow,he thought to get well past the ranch before the light failed. No matter howwell fortified with the courage distilled by his friend, Jennings, the big man would neverhave taken the trail by the old ruined cabin alone after dark. He had evidentlybeen riding at a good pace, for his mule's neck and flanks were wet with sweat.Gibbs, himself, seemed greatly excited, and one hand rested on the pistol athis hip, as he pulled up in front of the shepherd.Without returning Mr. Howitt's greeting, hepointed toward the two empty chairs in front of the house, demanding roughly,"Who was that with you before you heard me comin'?" "Sammy Lane was here a few minutes ago,"replied the shepherd. Gibbs uttered an oath, "She was, wasshe? Well, who was th' man?" "There was no man," returned theother. "Young Matt and Pete were here for supper, but they went as soon asthe meal was finished, before Sammy came." "Don't you try to lie to me!"exclaimed the big man, with another burst of language, and a threateningmovement with the hand that rested on the pistol. Mr. Howitt was startled. Never in his lifebefore had such words been addressed to him. He managed to reply with quietdignity, "I have no reason for deceiving you, or anyone else, Mr. Gibbs.There has been no man here but myself, since Matt and Pete left aftersupper." The shepherd's manner carried conviction, and Gibbs hesitated,evidently greatly perplexed. During the pause, Brave growled again, and facedtoward the cliff below the corral, his hair bristling. "What's th' matter with thatdog?" said Gibbs, turning uneasily in his saddle, to face in the directionthe animal was looking. "What is it, Brave?" said Mr.Howitt. The only answer was an uneasy whine, followed by another growl, all ofwhich said plainly, in dog talk, "I don't know what it is, but there issomething over there on that cliff that I don't like." "It must be some animal," saidthe shepherd. "Ain't no animal that makes a dog actlike that. Did any body pass while you was a sittin' there, jest before I comein sight?" "Not a soul," answered the other."Did you meet someone down the road?" The big man looked at the shepherd hardbefore he answered, in a half-frightened, half-bullying tone, "I seedsomething in th' road yonder, an' hit disappeared right by th' old shack underth' bluffs." He twisted around in his saddle again, facing the cliff withits dense shadows and dim twilight forms, as he muttered, "If I was onlyright sure, I--" Then swinging back he leaned toward the man on the "Look a here, Mister. There's them that 'lows there's things inthis here Holler t' be afeared of, an' I reckon hit's so. There's sure beenhell t' pay at that there cabin down yonder. I ain't a sayin' what hit was I
seed, but if hit war anywhere else, I'd
but if hit was aman, I don't know why you didn't see h er else you're alyin'. I jest want t' tell you, you're right smart of a stranger in these hereparts, even if you have been a workin' fer Ol' Matt all summer. You're tooblame careful 'bout talkin' 'bout yourself, or tellin' whar you come from, t'suit some folks. Some strangers are alright, an' again some ain't. But we don'taim t' have nobody in this here neighborhood what jumps into th' brush whenthey see an honest man a comin'." As he finished speaking, Gibbs straightenedhimself in the saddle, and before Mr. Howitt could reply, the dun mule, at atouch of the spur, had dashed away up the road in the direction taken by Sammy Lane. It was quite dark in the heavy timber ofthe Hollow by the time Sammy had reached the edge of the open ground on thehill side, but once on the higher level, clear of the trees, the strong glow ofthe western sky still lighted the way. From here it was not far to the girl'shome, and, as she climbed a spur of Dewey, Sammy saw the cabin, and hearddistinctly the sweet strain's of her father's violin. On top of the rise, the youngwoman paused a moment to enjoy the beauties of the evening, which seemed tocome to her with a new meaning that night. As she stood there, her strong youngfigure was clearly outlined against the sky to the man who was riding swiftlyalong the road over which she had just passed. Sammy turned when she heard the quickbeating of the mule' then, recognizing the huge form of the horseman, ashe came out of the woods into the light, she started quickly away towards her but the mule and its rider were soon beside her. "Howdy, Sammy." Gibbs leaped fromthe saddle, and, with the bridle rein over his arm, came close to the girl."Fine evening for a walk." "Howdy," returned the youngwoman, coolly, quickening her pace. "You needn't t' be in such a powerfulhurry," growled Wash."If you've got time t' talk t' that old cuss at th' ranch, you sure gottime t' talk t' me." Sammy turned angrily. "You'd betterget back on your mule, and go about your business, Wash Gibbs. When I want youto walk with me, I'll let you know." "That's alright, honey,"exclaimed the other insolently. "I'm a goin' your way just th' an'we'll mosey 'long t'gether. I was a goin' home, but I've got business with yourpaw now." "Worse thing for Daddy, too,"flashed the girl. "I wish you'd stay away from him." W "Your daddy couldn't keep house 'thout me, nohow. Whowas that feller talkin' with you an' th' old man down yonder?" "There wasn't nobody talkin' tous," replied Sammy shortly. "That's what he said, too,"growled G "but I sure seed somebody a sneakin' into th' brush when Irode up. I thought when I was down there hit might o' but I know
hit was a man, now. There's somethin' mighty funny a goin' on around here,since that feller come int' th' an' he'll sure find somethin' inMutton Holler more alive than Ol' Matt's gal if he ain't careful." The girl caught her breath quickly. Sheknew the big ruffian's methods, and with good reason feared for her old friend,should he even unconsciously incur the giant's displeasure. As they drew near the house, Wash continued,"Young Matt he was there too. Let me tell you I ain't forgot 'bout his bigshow at th' he'll have t' do a heap better'n he done then,when I get 'round t' him." Sammy laughed scornfully, "'Pears likeyou ain't been in no hurry t' try it on. I ain't heard tell of Young Matt'sleaving th' country yet. You'd better stay away from Jennings' still though, when you do tryit." Then, while the man was tying his mule to the fence, she ran into thecabin to greet her father with a hysterical sob that greatly astonished Jim.Before explanations could be made, a step was heard approaching the door, andSammy had just time to say, "Wash Gibbs," in answer to her father'sinquiring look, when the big man entered. Mr. Lane arose to hang his violin on itspeg. "Don't stop fer me, Jim," saidthe newcomer. "Jest let her go. Me an' Sammy's been havin' a nice littlewalk, an' some right peart music would sound mighty fine." Gibbs wasangered beyond reason at Sammy's last words, or he would have exercised greatercare. Sammy's father made no reply until the girlhad left the room, but whatever it was that his keen eye read in his daughter'sface, it made him turn to his guest with anything but a cordial manner, andthere was that in his voice that should have warned the other. "So you and Sammy went for a walk, didyou?" "She was comin' home from th' sheepranch, an' I caught up with her," explained Gibbs. "I 'lowed as howshe needed company, so I come 'long. I seemed t' be 'bout as welcome asusual," he added with an ugly grin. "Meanin' that my girl don't want yourcompany, and told you so?" asked the other softly. Wash a "Sammy's gettin' too dad burned goodfer me since Ollie's uncle took him in. An' now, this here old man from nowherehas come, it's worse than ever. She'll put a rope 'round our necks th' firstthing you know." Jim's right hand slipped quietly inside hishickory shirt, where the button was missing, as he drawled, "My girlalways was too good for some folks. And it's about time you was a findin' itout. She can't help it. She was born that way. She's got mighty good blood inher veins, and I don't aim to ever let it be mixed up with noneof the low down common yeller kind." The deliberate purpose of the speaker wastoo evident to be mistaken. The other man's hand flew to his hip almost before Mr. Lane had
finished his sentence. But Washwas not quick enough. Like a flash Jim's hand was withdrawn from inside thehickory shirt, and the giant looked squarely into the muzzle of Jim Lane's everready, murderous weapon. In the same even voice, without theslightest allusion to the unfinished movement of the other, Mr. Lane continued, "I done told youbefore that my girl would pick her own company, and I ain't never feared for aminute that she'd take up with such as you. Ollie Stewart ain't so mighty muchof a man, maybe, but he's clean, he is, and the stock's pretty good. Now youcan just listen to me, or you can mosey out of that door, and the next time wemeet, we will settle it for good, without any further arrangement." As Sammy's father talked, the big figure ofhis visitor relaxed, and when Jim had finished his slow speech, Wash was leaning forwardwith his elbows on his knees, his hands clasped in front. "We ain't got nocall t' fight, now, Jim," he said in a tone of respect. "We gotsomething else t' an' that's what I come here fer t'night. I didn'taim t', 'til I seed what I did at th' ranch down yonder. I tell you hit's timewe was a doin' somethin'." At this, Mr. Lane's face and manner changedquickly. He put up his weapon, and the two men drew their chairs closetogether, as though Death had not a moment before stretched forth his hand tothem. For an hour they sat talking in low tones.Sammy in the next room had heard the conversation up to this point, but nowonly an occasional word reached her ears. Gibbs seemed to be urging someaction, and her father was as vigorously protesting. "I tell you, Jim,hit's th' only safe way. You didn't use t' be so squeamish." Several timesthe old shepherd was mentioned, and also the stranger whom Wash had seen thatevening. And once, the trembling girl heard Young Matt's name. At length theguest rose to go, and Mr. Lanewalked with him to the gate. Even after the big man was mounted, theconversa Washstill urging and Jim still protesting. When his visitor was gone, Mr. Lane cameslowly back to the house. Extinguishing the light, he seated himself in theopen doorway, and filled his pipe. Sammy caught the odor of tobacco, and amoment later Jim heard a light, quick step on the floor behind him. Then twoarms
"What is it, Daddy? What is it? Why don't youdrive that man away?" "Did you hear us talkin'?" askedthe man, an anxious note in his voice. "I heard you talkin' to him aboutpesterin' me, but after that, you didn't talk so loud. What is the matter,Daddy, that he could stay and be so thick with you after the things you said? Iwas sure he'd make you kill him." J "You're just likeyour mother, girl. Just like her, with the old blood a backin' you up."Then he asked a number of questions about Mr. Howitt, and her visit to the
ranch that evening. As Sammy told him of her ambition to fitherself for the place that would be hers, when she married, and repeating thethings that Mr. Howitt had told her, explained how the shepherd had promised tohelp, Jim expressed his satisfaction and delight. "I knowed you was astudyin' about something, girl," he said, "but I didn't say nothin','cause I 'lowed you'd tell me when you got ready." "I didn't want to say nothing 'til Iwas sure, you see," replied the daughter. "I aimed to tell you assoon as I got home to-night, but Wash Gibbs didn't give me no chance." The man held her close "Dad Howittsure puts the thing just right, Sammy. It'll be old times come back, whenyou're a lady in your own house with all your and you'lldo it, you sure will. Don't never be afraid to bank on the old blood.It'll see you through." T "You won't never belearned away from your old Daddy, will you, honey? Will you always stand by Daddy,like you do now? Will you let me and Young Matt slip 'round once in a while,just to look at, you, all so fine?" "Daddy Jim, if youdon't--hush--I'll--I'll--" she hid her face on his shoulder. "There, there, I was onlyfunnin'. You'll always be my S the only boy I ever had. You just naturallycouldn't be nothin' else." Long after his daughter had gone to herroom and to her bed, the mountaineer sat in the doorway, looking into the dark.He heard the short bark of a fox in the brus and the wildcry of a catamount from a cliff farther down the mountain was answered byanother from the timber below the spring. He saw the great hills heaving theirdark forms into the sky, and in his soul he felt the spirit of the wildernessand the mystery of the hour. At last he went into the house to close and barthe door. Away down in Mutton Hollow a dog barked,and high up on Old Dewey near Sammy's Lookout, a spot of light showed for amoment, then vanished.
登录百度帐号推荐应用
为兴趣而生,贴吧更懂你。或

我要回帖

更多关于 侠盗圣安地列斯秘籍 的文章

随机推荐