金山打字游戏下载生死时速I have a dream 是第几版

I&apo m a pleasant, easy-gonig personality which have won my many frends. please accept my best and sincerest wishes for the New Year.Wish you good health and ha ine ! I&apo m waiting for you...
( Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:34:07 +0800 )
Description:
A cheery New Year hold lots of ha ine for you!
给你特别的祝福,愿新年带给你无边的幸福、如意。
May you have the best New Year ever.
愿你度过最美好的新年!
Much joy to you in the up coming year. May the warmest wishes, ha y thoughts and friendly greetings come at New Year and stay with you all the year through.
让温馨的祝愿、幸福的思念和友好的祝福,在新年来到你身边,伴你左右。
A New Year greeting to cheer you from your daughters.
愿女儿的新年祝福带给你快乐。
At New Year and always, may peace and love fill your heart, beauty fill your world, and contentment and joy fill your days.
新年的祝福,平日的希冀,愿你心境祥和、充满爱意,愿你的世界全是美满,
愿你一切称心如意,快乐无比。
May the joy of New Year be with you throughout the year.
愿新年的快乐一年四季常在。
Peace and love for you at New Year from all your students.
祝老师新年充满平安和爱。
Wishing you a arkling New Year and bright ha y New Year! May the season bring much pleasure to you.
愿你的新年光彩夺目,愿你的新年灿烂辉煌!佳节快乐!
Wishing you all the ble ings of a beautiful New Year season.
愿你拥有新年所有美好的祝福。
Wishing you all the ha ine of the holiday season.
祝节日幸福如意。
Hope all your New Year dreams come true!
愿你所有的新年想都成真!
Hope you enjoy the ha ine of New Year and all the trimmings.
祝你享尽新年佳节的快乐和新年的礼品。
Warm hearted wishes for a ha y New Year filled with all your favorite things.
传统佳节之际,献上殷殷祝福,祝新年万事如意!
I wish you a ha y New Year. All affection and best wishes to you and yours.
以我所有的爱心与真诚祝你及全家圣诞快乐。
In the season of joy I present my sincere wishes and kind thoughts. May the kind of New Year outshine all the rest.
在这欢乐的时节给你我最真的祝福和亲切的思念,愿你今年的新年比往年更璀璨。
May the New Year be a time of laughter and real enjoyment for you. Best wishes.
愿新年不仅是你欢笑的时刻,更是你欣喜的日子。祝福你。
May the glow of New Year candle fill your heart with peace and pleasure and make your New Year bright. Have a love filled New Year!
愿新年的烛光带给你祥和与喜悦,祝你新年充满爱。
May the bright and festive glow of New Year candle warm the days all the year through. Hoping you will have a wonderful time enjoying New Year that is ha y in every way.
愿明亮喜庆的新年烛光温暖一年中的每个日日夜夜,祝你欢欢喜喜度新年!
New Year time is here. I hope you have a wonderful New Year. May every day hold ha y hours for you.
新年来临,祝新年快乐,愿你时时刻刻幸福欢乐!
May your New Year be filled with ecial moment, warmth, peace and ha ine , the joy of covered on
es near, and wishing you all the joys of Christmas and a year of ha ine .
愿你的新年充满温馨,祥和,与亲人团聚的快乐,祝乐陶陶,新年乐无限。
Warm greetings and best wishes for ha ine and good luck in the coming year.
衷心祝福来年快乐、幸运!
New Year should be a time of banked-up fires, the scent of flowers and wine, good talk, good memories and loyalties renewed. But if all else is lacking - love will do.
新年是这样美好的时光:炉火熊熊,花儿芬芳,醇酒飘香,殷殷祝福,美好回忆,
恩爱日新。即便没有一切,只要有爱便足矣。
May the beauty and joy of New Year remain with you throughout the new year!
愿新春美景与欢乐常伴随你!
New Year's greetings and best wishes!
致新年贺忱与最美好的祝福!
( Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:43:49 +0800 )
Description: 建筑的力量
Architecture is to be regarded by us with the most serious thought. We may live without her, and worship without her, but we ca ot remember without her. How cold is all history, how lifele all imagery, compared to that which the living nation writes, and the uncorrupted marble bears! --how many pages of doubtful record might we not often are, for a few stones left on
e upon another! 我们应该以最严肃认真的态度来看待建筑。没有建筑,我们可以生存,可以崇拜上帝,但是我们就会失去记忆。与现存的民族记录下来的和依然如新的大理石展示给我们的东西相比,历史是那么凄冷,想象力是那么毫无生气。几块垒在一起的石头会给我们省下多少张满是疑点的记录。
The ambition of the old Babel builders was well directed for this world: there are but two strong conquerors of the forgetfulne of men. Poetry and Architecture; and the latter in some sort includes the former, and is mightier in its reality: it is well to have, not on
ly what men have thought and felt, but what their hands have handled, and their strength wrought, and their eyes behold, all the days of their life.
古老的通天塔的建设者们的雄心对这个世界是有很大的指导意义的:只有两样东西能够克服人类的健忘:诗歌和建筑。在某种意义上,建筑包含诗歌,并且事实上比诗歌更具威力:我们不仅可以拥有人在生命的进程中想到和感觉到的东西,还可以拥有人的双手建造的、努力创造的以及看到的东西,这是多么美好呀。
Imaginary n. (文学作品中的)意像、形像
behold vt. 看
wrought vt. (work 的过去式和过去分词 ) 精心制作
( Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:08:53 +0800 )
Description:
人生就是为了找寻爱的过程。每个人的人生都要找到四个人:第一个是自己,第二个是你最爱的人,第三个是最爱你的人,第四个是共度一生的人。
Life is a proce of seeking love. Everyone of us has to find four people: on
e is my self, the second s the on
e we love, the third on
e is who loves us and the last on
e is who we can end our life with.
  首先会遇到你最爱的人,然后体会到爱的感觉;因为了解被爱的感觉,所以才能发现最爱你的人;经历过爱人与被爱,学会了爱,才会知道什么是你需要的,也才会找到最适合你,能够相处一辈子的人。
First of all, we will encounter the on
e we love most and experience the feeling of love. Due to our feeling of being loved, we will find the on
e who loves us most. On
ly after going through loving and being loved will we come to know what we need most and locate the on
e who fits us most and deserves our lifelong company.
  但很悲哀,在现实生活中,这三个人通常不是同一个人;你最爱的,往往没有选择你;最爱你的,往往不是你最爱的;而最长久的,偏偏不是你最爱也不是最爱你的,只是适合的时间出现的那个人。
  But pathetically, in our real lives, those three people we mention above tend not to be a united on
e. The on
e you love tends not to love you and the on
e who loves you ca ot win your love. The on
e who will stay with you for your whole life is not the on
es we mentioned above, but the on
e who comes to you at the right time.
  你,会是别人生命中的第几个人呢?没有人是故意要变心的,他爱你的时候是真的爱你,可他不爱你的时候也是真的,他爱你的时候没有办法假装不爱你;同样的,他不爱你的时候也无办法假装爱你。
Then, which on
e you will become to others? No on
e intends to change his affection for you. When he loves you, it does. When he does not love you, it is also true. When he loves you, he can never pretend not to love. Similarly, when he no longer loves you, he ca ot pretend to love you.
  当一个人不爱你要离开你,你要问自己还爱不爱他,如果你也不爱他了,千万别为了可怜的自尊而不肯离开;如果你还爱他,你应该希望他过得幸福快乐,希望他跟真正爱的人在一起,绝不会阻止,你要是阻止他得到真正的幸福,就表示你已经不爱他了,而如果你不爱他,你又有什么资格指责他变心呢?
When he does not love you and leaves you, you should ask yourself whether you still love him. If you do not love him any more, never go on continuing the relatio hip with him out of self-esteem. But if you still love him, you will wish he could lead a ha y life with his beloved forever and will never keep him beside you. If you i ist on keeping him by you, it mea you no longer love him, and if you do not love him, you are not entitled to blame him for changing mind.
  爱不是占有,你喜欢月亮,不可能把月亮拿下来放在脸盆里,但月亮的光芒仍可照进你的房间。换句话说,你爱一个人,也可以用另一种方式拥有,让爱人成为生命里的永恒回忆。
Love does not equal occupation. Your love moon but you can never get it into the basin. But the moonlight can still flow into your room. In other words, if you love someone, you can own him in another way that will keep your love as an immortal beautiful memory.
  如果你真爱一个人,就要爱他原来的样子——爱他的好,也爱他的坏;爱他的优点,也爱他的缺点,绝不能因为爱他,就希望他变成自己所希望的样子。
If you love someone wholeheartedly, you should love him as he is. You should love his strengths, but also his drawbacks. You should not intend to change him into the on
e your wish him to be.
  真正爱一个人是无法说出原因的,无论何时何地、心情好坏,你都希望这个人陪着你;真正的感情是两人能在最艰苦中相守,没有丝毫要求。毕竟,感情必须付出,而不是只想获得;分开是一种必然的考验,如果你们感情不够稳固,只好认输,真爱是不会变成怨恨的。
True love comes beyond any reason. You wish to stay with him wherever and whenever you are regardle of your mood. True love mea two can stay with on
e another in hardshi without any condition. After all, love needs sacrifices, not merely gai . Departing is kind of inevitable test, in which if your love is not solid enough, you have to face the failure without any grudge.
  两人在谈情说爱的时候,最喜欢叫对方发誓,许下承诺。我们为什么要对方发誓,就是因为我们不相信对方,我们根本不相信情人,而这些山盟海誓又很不切实际:海枯石烂、地老天荒,都不能改变我对你的爱!明知道海不会枯、石不会烂、地不会老、天不会荒;就算会,也活不到那时候。许下诺言的时候千万注意,不要许下可以实现的诺言。请记住:“不可能实现的诺言最动人”!
When two lovers are living romantic life, they are inclined to ask the other part to make an oath or commitment. We do so because we do not believe our lovers 100%. We do not believe love fundamentally, and those oaths are impractical. Some oaths like “even though the sea dried ,the stone breaks, the earth aged, and the sky ruined, I would never change my love to you”, are really a urd, because we all know that the sea will never dries, the stone will never break, the earth will never age and the sky will never ruin. Even though all of them will come true, we ca ot live until then. So when you make an oath, do not make the on
e that can come true. Please remember that the never-come-true swear is the most striking on
  在爱情里,说的是一套,做的是另一套;讲的人不相信,听的人也不相信。你呢?找到了第几个?茫茫人海中,你遇见了谁?谁又遇见了你?
In love, we tend to act agai t our words. The on
e who eaks do not believe what he himself says, nor will the on
e who liste . What about you? Which on
e among the four people we mention above have you found? In the ocean of crowds, who have you encountered and who have encountered you?
( Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:02:13 +0800 )
Description:
be different in character
有着不同的性质
a man of character
有个性的人, 有骨气的人
have an i ight into character
有洞察力, 有见识, 有知人之明
the characters in Charles Dicke ' novels
狄更斯小说中的人物
a leading character
a public character
社会知名人士
quite a character
怪人, 性格特别的人
( Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:17:50 +0800 )
Description:
THE PRESIDENT: Your Majesties, Your Royal Highne es, distinguished members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, citize of America, and citize of the world:
总统:国王和王后陛下,各位殿下,杰出的挪威诺贝尔委员会(Norwegian Nobel Committee)委员,美国公民及全世界公民们:
I receive this honor with deep gratitude and great humility. It is an award that eaks to our highest a iratio -- that for all the cruelty and hardship of our world, we are not mere prisoners of fate. Our actio matter, and can bend history in the direction of justice.
获此殊荣,我深怀感激并深表谦恭。这个奖表达出我们的最高理想——尽管这个世界存在种种凶残困苦,但我们并不任命运摆布。我们的行动是有作用的,能够推动历史向正义方向发展。
And yet I would be remi if I did not acknowledge the co iderable controversy that your generous decision has generated. (Laughter.) In part, this is because I am at the begi ing, and not the end, of my labors on the world stage. Compared to some of the giants of history who’ve received this prize -- Schweitzer and King; Marshall and Mandela -- my accomplishments are slight. And then there are the men and women around the world who have been jailed and beaten in the pursuit of justice; those who toil in humanitarian organizatio to relieve suffering; the unrecognized millio whose quiet acts of courage and compa ion i ire even the most hardened cynics. I ca ot argue with those who find these men and women -- some known, some o cure to all but those they help -- to be far more deserving of this honor than I.
不过,如果不坦承你们这项厚爱有加的决定所引起的相当激烈的争议,那我就有失疏忽了。(笑声)其中部分原因是,我在世界舞台上的奋斗才刚刚开始,而不是接近尾声。与曾经获此殊荣的一些历史巨人相比——史怀哲(Schweitzer)和马丁?路德?金(King);马歇尔(Marshall)和曼德拉(Mandela)——我的成就微不足道。还有全世界为追求正义而遭到监禁和欧打的男女志士;那些为减轻苦难而在人道组织中艰辛工作的人;那千百万默默无闻地以充满勇气和关爱的无声行动让最悲观的愤世嫉俗者也受到感召的人们。我绝不反驳那些认为这样的男女志士——有些知名,有些只为他们所帮助的对象所知——远比我有资格获此殊荣的看法。
But perha the most profound i ue surrounding my receipt of this prize is the fact that I am the Commander-in-Chief of the military of a nation in the midst of two wars. On
e of these wars is winding down. The other is a conflict that America did not seek; on
e in which we are joined by 42 other countries -- including Norway -- in an effort to defend ourselves and all natio from further attacks.
但与我获奖有关的最深层的问题可能在于我是一个正打着两场战争的国家的三军统帅。其中一场战争已接近尾声。另一场并非是美国挑起的冲突;有包括挪威在内的42个国家在与我们共同努力,为的是保护我们及其他所有国家不再遭受攻击。
Still, we are at war, and I’m re o ible for the deployment of thousands of young America to battle in a distant land. Some will kill, and some will be killed. And so I come here with an acute se e of the costs of armed conflict -- filled with difficult questio about the relatio hip between war and peace, and our effort to replace on
e with the other.
然而,我们仍处在战争时期,是我派遣成千上万名美国年轻人远赴战场。有些人要杀射,有些人要被杀射。因此,我是带着对武装冲突的代价的敏锐感觉来到这里的——心中充满有关战争与和平的关系以及我们为用和平取代战争而努力的难题。
Now these questio are not new. War, in on
e form or another, a eared with the first man. At the dawn of history, its morality was not questioned; it was simply a fact, like drought or disease -- the ma er in which tribes and then civilizatio sought power and settled their differences.
而这些问题并不新鲜。战争,以这样或那样的形式,随着人类的诞生而出现。在历史初期,战争的道义性无人质疑;它是如同干旱或疾病一样的现实——是各个部落以及后来的各种文明谋求权力和解决分歧的方式。
And over time, as codes of law sought to control violence within grou , so did philosophers and clerics and statesmen seek to regulate the destructive power of war. The concept of a “just war” emerged, suggesting that war is justified on
ly when certain conditio were met: if it is waged as a last resort or in self-defe e; if the force used is proportional; and if, whenever po ible, civilia are ared from violence.
后来,随着旨在控制群体内部暴力的规范的出现,哲学家、宗教领袖和政治家也纷纷致力于用条文限制战争的破坏力。“正义战争”的概念由此形成,亦即认为,在符合以下几个具体条件时,战争是正义的:如果战争是最后手段或是为自我防御;如果武力程度适当;以及在一切可能的情况下不对平民使用暴力。
Of course, we know that for most of history, this concept of “just war” was rarely o erved. The capacity of human beings to think up new ways to kill on
e another proved inexhaustible, as did our capacity to exempt from mercy those who look different or pray to a different God. Wars between armies gave way to wars between natio -- total wars in which the distinction between combatant and civilian became blurred. In the an of 30 years, such carnage would twice engulf this continent. And while it’s hard to conceive of a cause more just than the defeat of the Third Reich and the Axis powers, World War II was a conflict in which the total number of civilia who died exceeded the number of soldiers who perished.
当然,我们都知道,在人类历史的大部分时间内,这种“正义战争”的概念鲜被理会。人类显然有无穷的能力不断想出新的方式相互残杀,同样也有无穷的能力毫不怜惜那些外貌不同或信仰不同的人。军队之间的战争变成国家间的战争——模糊了战斗人员与平民界线的全面战争。这种战争大屠杀曾在30年内两度侵吞这块大陆。虽然难以设想还有什么比击败第三帝国(Third Reich)和轴心国(Axis powers)更正义的事业,但在第二次世界大战中死亡的平民总数超过了战死疆场的军人。
In the wake of such destruction, and with the advent of the nuclear age, it became clear to victor and vanquished alike that the world needed i titutio to prevent another world war. And so, a quarter century after the United States Senate rejected the League of Natio -- an idea for which Woodrow Wilson received this prize -- America led the world in co tructing an architecture to keep the peace: a Marshall Plan and a United Natio , mechanisms to govern the waging of war, treaties to protect human rights, prevent genocide, restrict the most dangerous weapo .
在这种毁灭之后,并且随着核时代的到来,战胜者与战败者同样清楚地认识到,这个世界需要有防止另一次世界大战的机制。为此,在美国参议院拒绝接受国际联盟(League of Natio )的四分之一世纪后——而伍德罗?威尔逊(Woodrow Wilson)正因为提出成立国联的设想而荣获诺贝尔和平奖,美国带动世界建起维护和平的体制:马歇尔计划(Marshall Plan)和联合国,对发动战争的规范,以及保护人权、防止种族灭绝大屠杀和限制最危险武器的各项条约。
In many ways, these efforts succeeded. Yes, terrible wars have been fought, and atrocities committed. But there has been no Third World War. The Cold War ended with jubilant crowds dismantling a wall. Commerce has stitched much of the world together. Billio have been lifted from poverty. The ideals of liberty and self-determination, equality and the rule of law have haltingly advanced. We are the heirs of the fortitude and foresight of generatio past, and it is a legacy for which my own country is rightfully proud.
这些努力在很多方面获得了成功。不错,可怕的战争仍然发生,种种暴行依然出现,但第三次世界大战没有爆发。冷战以兴高采烈的人群推倒一堵墙而告结束;商贸将世界大片地区紧密连在了一起;数十亿人口摆脱了贫困;自由、自决、平等和法治的理想断断续续地向前推进。我们是先辈们的坚韧精神和远大目光的继承人,这是我自己的国家有理由为之感到骄傲的业绩。
And yet, a decade into a new century, this old architecture is buckling under the weight of new threats. The world may no longer shudder at the pro ect of war between two nuclear superpowers, but proliferation may increase the risk of catastrophe. Terrorism has long been a tactic, but modern technology allows a few small men with outsized rage to murder i ocents on a horrific scale.
然而,在进入新世纪已10年之际,这一旧有的架构正在越来越难撑新生威胁的重压。世界或许不再为两个超级核大国之间可能发生战争而颤栗,但核扩散可能会增加发生巨大灾难的危险。恐怖主义一贯是一种手段,但现代技术会使少数怒火超量的小人以可怕的规模残杀无辜。
Moreover, wars between natio have increasingly given way to wars within natio . The resurgence of ethnic or sectarian conflict the growth of sece ionist movements, i urgencies, and failed states -- all these things have increasingly tra ed civilia in unending chaos. In today’s wars, many more civilia are killed than soldier the seeds of future conflict are sown, economies are wrecked, civil societies torn asunder, refugees ama ed, children scarred.
而且,国与国的战争正在日益被国家内部的战争所取代。民族和宗派冲突的重新抬头、分离主义运动、叛乱活动和失控国家的增加,都越来越将平民困于无休止的动乱中。在今天的战争中,平民的死亡大大超过军人;埋下未来冲突的种子;破坏经济;摧毁公民社会;形成大批难民;使儿童遭受创伤。
I do not bring with me today a definitive solution to the problems of war. What I do know is that meeting these challenges will require the same vision, hard work, and persistence of those men and women who acted so boldly decades ago. And it will require us to think in new ways about the notio of just war and the imperatives of a just peace.
我今天没有带来对战争问题的决定性解决办法。但我确知,应对这些挑战要求具有几十年前那些英勇无畏的前辈所具有的远见、勤劳和坚韧不拔。这需要我们从新的角度思考正义战争的含义和正义和平的必备条件。
We must begin by acknowledging the hard truth: We will not eradicate violent conflict in our lifetimes. There will be times when natio -- acting individually or in concert -- will find the use of force not on
ly nece ary but morally justified.
我们必须首先承认这个严峻的现实:在我们的有生之年,我们不会根除暴力冲突。会有一些时候,国家——不论是单独或共同行动——发现使用武力不仅必要,而且为道义所需。
I make this statement mindful of what Martin Luther King Jr. said in this same ceremony years ago: “Violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated on
es.” As someone who stands here as a direct co equence of Dr. King’s life work, I am living testimony to the moral force of non-violence. I know there’s nothing weak -- nothing pa ive -- nothing nave -- in the creed and lives of Gandhi and King.
我说这番话时并没有忘记马丁?路德?金(Martin Luther King Jr.)多年前在这同一仪式上说过的话:“暴力永远不会带来持久和平。它解决不了社会问题:只会制造新的、更复杂的问题”。我站在这里,作为金博士毕生奋斗的直接受益者,就是对非暴力的道义力量的活见证。我知道在甘地(Gandhi)和马丁?路德?金的信念与人生中,绝无软弱——绝无消极——绝无天真。
But as a head of state sworn to protect and defend my nation, I ca ot be guided by their examples alone. I face the world as it is, and ca ot stand idle in the face of threats to the American people. For make no mistake: Evil does exist in the world. A non-violent movement could not have halted Hitler’s armies. Negotiatio ca ot convince al Qaeda’s leaders to lay down their arms. To say that force may sometimes be nece ary is not a call to cynicism -- it is a recognition of history; the imperfectio of man and the limits of reason.
但是,作为宣誓保卫自己国家的一国元首,我不能只以他们的榜样为指南。我面对的世界是现实的世界,我不能面对美国人民遭到的威胁无动于衷。因为,切莫误会:邪恶在世界上确实存在。一场非暴力运动不可能阻止希特勒的军队。谈判不能说服基地(al Qaeda)组织的头目放下武器。说武力有时是必要的并不是让大家变得愤世嫉俗——这是承认历史;是人类的不完美和情理的限度。
I raise this point, I begin with this point because in many countries there is a deep ambivalence about military act
ion today, no matter what the cause. And at times, this is joined by a reflexive su icion of America, the world’s sole military superpower.
我说起这一点,我以这一点开头,因为今天在许多国家,对军事行动,不管出于什么理由,都存在一种深深的矛盾心理。有时候,这种矛盾又掺杂着对美国,这个世界上惟一的超级大国的一种反射性的不信任。
But the world must remember that it was not simply international i titutio -- not just treaties and declaratio -- that brought stability to a post-World War II world. Whatever mistakes we have made, the plain fact is this: The United States of America has helped underwrite global security for more than six decades with the blood of our citize and the strength of our arms. The service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform has promoted peace and pro erity from Germany to Korea, and enabled democracy to take hold in places like the Balka . We have borne this burden not because we seek to impose our will. We have done so out of enlightened self-interest -- because we seek a better future for our children and grandchildren, and we believe that their lives will be better if others’ children and grandchildren can live in freedom and pro erity.
但世人必须记住,不简单地是因为国际体制——不只是条约和宣言——才给二战后的世界带来稳定。不管我们犯了多少错误,一个明白的事实是:美利坚合众国在60多年里,以自己公民的鲜血和军力,帮助维护和保证了世界的安全。我们的男女军人的贡献与牺牲促进了从德国到韩国的和平与繁荣,使民主能在像巴尔干这样的地方扎根。我们承受这些重负并不是因为我们谋求强加我们的意志。我们这样做是出于开化的自身利益——因为我们为我们的子子孙孙追求更美好的未来。我们相信如果别人的子子孙孙能生活在自由和繁荣中,他们的生活会更好。
So yes, the i truments of war do have a role to play in preserving the peace. And yet this truth must coexist with another -- that no matter how justified, war promises human tragedy. The soldier’s courage and sacrifice is full of glory, expre ing devotion to country, to cause, to comrades in arms. But war itself is never glorious, and we must never trumpet it as such.
所以,是的,战争的手段确实在保卫和平中具有作用。但这个事实必须同另一个事实共存——不管理由多么正当,战争导致人间悲剧。军人的勇敢和牺牲无比光荣,表达了对国家、事业、战友的忠诚。但战争本身决不光荣,我们决不能如此宣扬。
So part of our challenge is reconciling these two seemingly inreconcilable truths -- that war is sometimes nece ary, and war at some level is an expr
e ion of human folly. Concretely, we must direct our effort to the task that President Ke edy called for long ago. “Let us focus,” he said, “on a more practical, more attainable peace, based not on a sudden revolution in human nature but on a gradual evolution in human i titutio .” A gradual evolution of human i titutio .
因此,我们面对的挑战部分来自于调和这两个看似不可调和的事实——战争有时必要,战争在某种程度上是人类愚蠢的表现。具体说,我们必须把我们的努力放在肯尼迪总统(Ke edy)很久以前所指出的使命上。他说:“让我们把注意力,集中在更实际,更能取得的和平上,这种和平不是基于人类本性的突发革命,而是基于人类体制的逐渐演进。”
What might this evolution look like? What might these practical ste be?
这种演进可能具有何种形式?哪些可能是切实可行的步骤?
To begin with, I believe that all natio -- strong and weak alike -- must adhere to standards that govern the use of force. I -- like any head of state -- reserve the right to act unilaterally if nece ary to defend my nation. Neverthele , I am convinced that adhering to standards, international standards, strengthe those who do, and isolates and weake those who don’t.
首先,我认为所有国家,无论强弱,都必须遵循对使用武力的规范。与任何国家元首一样,我保留在必要时采取单边行动保卫自己国家的权利。然而,我确信遵循标准——国际标准——的国家更有力量,而那些不遵循标准的国家会陷于孤立,并且被削弱。
The world rallied around America after the 9/11 attacks, and continues to su ort our efforts in Afghanistan, because of the horror of those se ele attacks and the recognized principle of self-defe e. Likewise, the world recognized the need to confront Saddam Hu ein when he invaded Kuwait -- a co e us that sent a clear me age to all about the cost of aggre ion.
“9.11”之后,全世界团结一致,与美国站在一起,并在今天继续支持我们在阿富汗的努力,这是滥杀无辜的残忍与公认的自卫原则使然。同样,当萨达姆?侯赛因(Saddam Hu ein)入侵科威特时,世界也认识到必须与其抗衡。这一共识发出的清晰信息是:侵略必须付出代价。
Furthermore, America -- in fact, no nation -- can i ist that others follow the rules of the road if we refuse to follow them ourselves. For when we don’t, our actio a ear arbitrary and undercut the legitimacy of future interventio , no matter how justified.
另外,美国──以及任何国家──都不能在自己拒绝遵守规则时要求别人遵守规则。如果我们不以身作则,我们的行动就会表现为专横武断,使未来进行干预的合理性受到影响,无论理由多么充足。
And this becomes particularly imp
ortant when the purpose of military act
ion extends beyond self-defe e or the defe e of on
e nation agai t an aggre or. More and more, we all confront difficult questio about how to prevent the slaughter of civilia by their own government, or to stop a civil war whose violence and suffering can engulf an entire region.
当军事行动的目的超越了自卫或帮助某一国抵抗侵略者的防卫行动时,这一点变得尤其重要。我们大家都越来越多地面对棘手的问题:如何防止一国政府屠杀本国的平民?如何制止一场其暴行和所导致的痛苦会殃及整个地区的内战?
I believe that force can be justified on humanitarian grounds, as it was in the Balka , or in other places that have been scarred by war. Inaction tears at our co cience and can lead to more costly intervention later. That’s why all re o ible natio must embrace the role that militaries with a clear mandate can play to keep the peace.
我认为,基于人道理由的武力是正当的,例如在巴尔干地区或饱经战乱的其他地区。不采取行动不仅折磨我们的良心,还会导致未来以更高的代价进行干预。因此,所有负责任的国家都必须相信使命明确的军事行动所能够发挥的维护和平作用。
America’s commitment to global security will never waver. But in a world in which threats are more diffuse, and mi io more complex, America ca ot act alone. America alone ca ot secure the peace. This is true in Afghanistan. This is true in failed states like Somalia, where terrorism and piracy is joined by famine and human suffering. And sadly, it will continue to be true in u table regio for years to come.
美国将矢志不渝地致力于确保全球安全。 然而,在这个威胁日益蔓延、使命日趋复杂的世界里,美国不能独自行动。美国独自行动不能带来和平。在阿富汗如此,在恐怖主义和海盗伴随饥荒肆虐、人民受苦受难的索马里等政府失控的国家也是如此。不幸的是,这种状况在今后岁月里会继续存在于动荡地区。
The leaders and soldiers of NATO countries, and other friends and allies, demo trate this truth through the capacity and courage they’ve shown in Afghanistan. But in many countries, there is a disco ect between the efforts of those who serve and the ambivalence of the broader public. I understand why war is not popular, but I also know this: The belief that peace is desirable is rarely enough to achieve it. Peace requires re o ibility. Peace entails sacrifice. That’s why NATO continues to be indi e able. That’s why we must strengthen U.N. and regional peacekeeping, and not leave the task to a few countries. That’s why we honor those who return home from peacekeeping and training abroad to Oslo and Rome; to Ottawa and Sydney; to Dhaka and Kigali -- we honor them not as makers of war, but of wagers -- but as wagers of peace.
在阿富汗,北约国家以及其他友邦和盟国的领导人和军人以自身能力和勇气证实了上述论断。可是,在许多国家中,奉献者作出的努力与公众的矛盾心理之间存在脱节。我理解战争不受欢迎的原因,但我也知道:单凭向往和平的美好意愿很少能够带来和平。和平需要承担责任。和平需要作出牺牲。这是继续不能没有北约的原因。这是我们必须加强联合国及地区维和行动,不能将此重任推卸给少数几个国家的原因。因此,无论是在奥斯陆或罗马、渥太华或悉尼、达卡或基加利,我们都对那些完成维和行动与海外培训任务归来的军人给予极大的荣誉,因为他们不是战争制造者,而是和平缔造者。
Let me make on
e final point about the use of force. Even as we make difficult decisio about going to war, we must also think clearly about how we fight it. The Nobel Committee recognized this truth in awarding its first prize for peace to Henry Dunant -- the founder of the Red Cro , and a driving force behind the Geneva Conventio .
请允许我对使用武力的问题最后再说明一点。即使我们对出兵参战一事作出了艰难的决定,我们还必须认真考虑我们如何参加作战。诺贝尔委员会在向亨利?杜南(Henry Dunant)颁发第一个和平奖时认识到这一点。亨利?杜南是红十字会(Red Cro )创始人、《日内瓦公约》(Geneva Conventio )的幕后推动力量。
Where force is nece ary, we have a moral and strategic interest in binding ourselves to certain rules of conduct. And even as we confront a vicious adversary that abides by no rules, I believe the United States of America must remain a standard bearer in the conduct of war. That is what makes us different from those whom we fight. That is a source of our strength. That is why I prohibited torture. That is why I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed. And that is why I have reaffirmed America’s commitment to abide by the Geneva Conventio . We lose ourselves when we compromise the very ideals that we fight to defend. (A lause.) And we honor -- we honor those ideals by upholding them not when it’s easy, but when it is hard.
凡有必要使用武力的地方,我们出于道义与战略上的考虑,需要受某些行为准则的制约。即使我们遇到不遵守任何规则的邪恶对手,我认为美利坚合众国也必须一如既往成为遵守战争规范的楷模。这就是我们区别于作战对手的地方。这就是我们力量的源泉。这就是我禁止酷刑的原因。这就是我下令关闭关塔那摩湾监狱的原因。这就是我重申美国坚决遵守《日内瓦公约》的原因。我们为保卫自己的理想而战,如果我们放弃这些理想,我们就会自取其咎。(掌声)我们维护——我们维护这些理想,不论如何顺利,也不论如何艰难,都对这些理想恪守不渝。
I have oken at some length to the question that must weigh on our minds and our hearts as we choose to wage war. But let me now turn to our effort to avoid such tragic choices, and eak of three ways that we can build a just and lasting peace.
我刚才比较详细地谈到我们在选择出兵参战之际,必须深思熟虑的问题。现在让我转而谈一谈我们为避免这类悲剧性的选择进行的努力,谈一谈我们维护正义和缔造持久和平的三个途径。
First, in dealing with those natio that break rules and laws, I believe that we must develop alternatives to violence that are tough enough to actually change beha
vior -- for if we want a lasting peace, then the words of the international community must mean something. Those regimes that break the rules must be held accountable. Sanctio must exact a real price. Intra igence must be met with increased pre ure -- and such pre ure exists on
ly when the world stands together as on
首先,对于那些不遵守规则和法律的国家,我认为我们必须采取一些除武力之外的其他方式,但需要有足以改变其行为方式的强硬措施——因为如果我们希望实现持久和平,那么国际社会说的话必须算数。不遵守规则的国家必须承担责任。各种制裁必须迫使对方付出实际的代价。如果拒不悔改,则必须施加更大的压力借以抗衡——全世界只有通力合作才有可能施加这样的压力。
e urgent example is the effort to prevent the read of nuclear weapo , and to seek a world without them. In the middle of the last century, natio agreed to be bound by a treaty whose bargain is clear: All will have acce to peaceful nuclear power; those without nuclear weapo will forsake them; and those with nuclear weapo will work towards disarmament. I am committed to upholding this treaty. It is a centerpiece of my foreign policy. And I’m working with President Medvedev to reduce America and Ru ia’s nuclear stockpiles.
举例来说,努力防止核武器扩散,争取一个没有核武器的世界是一项迫在眉睫的工作。上世纪中叶,各国同意受一项条约的约束,其内容十分明确:各国都可以和平使用核能;没有核武器的国家将不谋求核武器;拥有核武器的国家将努力裁减核军备。我坚决支持这项条约。这是我采取的外交政策的核心。我正与梅德韦杰夫(Medvedev)总统为削减美国和俄罗斯的核军备进行合作。
But it is also incumbent upon all of us to i ist that natio like Iran and North Korea do not game the system. Those who claim to re ect international law ca ot avert their eyes when those laws are flouted. Those who care for their own security ca ot ignore the danger of an arms race in the Middle East or East Asia. Those who seek peace ca ot stand idly by as natio arm themselves for nuclear war.
但我们大家也都有责任坚决不允许伊朗和北韩等国家玩弄这个制度。声称尊重国际法的人不能在这些法律遭到践踏时视而不见。关心自己安全的人无法忽视中东或东亚地区军备竞赛的危险。希望和平的人不可在一些国家为发动核战争建立军备时袖手旁观。
The same principle a lies to those who violate international laws by brutalizing their own people. When there is genocide in Darfur, systematic rape in Congo, repre ion in Burma -- there must be co equences. Yes, there will be engagement; yes, there will be diplomacy -- but there must be co equences when those things fail. And the closer we stand together, the le likely we will be faced with the choice between armed intervention and complicity in o re ion.
同样的原则也适用于那些违反国际法,残酷压榨本国人民的人。当达尔富尔地区出现种族大屠杀,当刚果发生层出不穷的强奸事件,当缅甸采取镇压行动的时候——必然会产生后果。是的,会进行接触,也会有外交行动——但当这些做法无法奏效时,必然会产生后果。我们如果更密切地合作,就很少有必要在武装干预和纵容专制压迫之间进行选择。
This brings me to a second point -- the nature of the peace that we seek. For peace is not merely the a ence of visible conflict. On
ly a just peace based on the inherent rights and dignity of every individual can truly be lasting.
这就关系到我要讲的第二点——我们所寻求的和平的性质。和平并不仅仅意味着没有可见的冲突,只有基于每个人与生俱来的权利和尊严正义的和平才是真正的持久和平。
It was this i ight that drove drafters of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights after the Second World War. In the wake of devastation, they recognized that if human rights are not protected, peace is a hollow promise.
在第二次世界大战以后,正是这种真知灼见给了《世界人权宣言》(Universal Declaration of Human Rights)的起草者们以动力。在巨大的灾难之后,他们意识到,如果人权得不到保护,那么和平只是空洞的承诺。
And yet too often, these words are ignored. For some countries, the failure to uphold human rights is excused by the false suggestion that these are somehow Western principles, foreign to local cultures or stages of a nation’s development. And within America, there has long been a te ion between those who describe themselves as realists or idealists -- a te ion that suggests a stark choice between the narrow pursuit of interests or an endle campaign to impose our values around the world.
但是,人权宣言被漠视的状况屡见不鲜。某些国家将人权原则是西方原则、与当地文化格格不入、不符合国家发展阶段等作为不维护人权的不实借口。在美国,那些自称为现实主义者或理想主义者的人之间,长期以来也存在矛盾——它代表着在狭隘地谋求利益与无休止地在全世界推行我们的价值观之间的僵化选择。
I reject these choices. I believe that peace is u table where citize are denied the right to eak freely or worship as they please; choose their own leaders or a emble without fear. Pent-up grievances fester, and the su re ion of tribal and religious identity can lead to violence. We also know that the o osite is true. On
ly when Europe became free did it finally find peace. America has never fought a war agai t a democracy, and our closest friends are governments that protect the rights of their citize . No matter how callously defined, neither America’s interests -- nor the world’s -- are served by the denial of human a iratio .
我拒绝这些选择。我认为,在那些公民无权自由发表意见或按照自己的意愿信教、不能选择自己的领导人或自由集会的地方,和平是不稳定的。被压抑的不满情绪会激起怨恨,压制部族和宗教的认同可能引发暴力反抗。我们也知道其实相反的情况。欧洲在赢得自由之后才最终享有和平。美国从来没有同民主国家交战,我们最亲密的友邦也都是保护其公民权利的政府。不管多么苛刻地界定,压制人的理想不会有利于美国的利益,也不会有利于世界的利益。
So even as we re ect the unique culture and traditio of different countries, America will always be a voice for those a iratio that are universal. We will bear witne to the quiet dignity of reformers like Aung Sang Suu Kyi; to the bravery of Zimbabwea who cast their ballots in the face of beating to the hundreds of thousands who have marched silently through the streets of Iran. It is telling that the leaders of these governments fear the a iratio of their own people more than the power of any other nation. And it is the re o ibility of all free people and free natio to make clear that these movements -- these movements of hope and history -- they have us on their side.
因此,即使在我们尊重不同国家的独特文化和传统的同时,美国仍将一如既往地为这些全人类共同的理想而大声疾呼。我们将为昂山素季(Aung Sang Suu Kyi)那样具有沉静尊严的改革者见证;为不惧殴打而参加投票的津巴布韦人的勇气见证;为成千上万名在伊朗街头默默游行的人见证。这些都说明,那些政府的领导人对本国人民的理想的畏惧甚于任何其他国家的力量。全世界所有自由的人民和自由的国家都有责任明确宣告,我们站在这些行动——希望和历史的行动——的一边。
Let me also say this: The promotion of human rights ca ot be about exhortation alone. At times, it must be coupled with pai taking diplomacy. I know that engagement with repre ive regimes lacks the satisfying purity of indignation. But I also know that sanctio without outreach -- condemnation without discu ion -- can carry forward on
ly a cri ling status quo. No repre ive regime can move down a new path unle it has the choice of an open door.
我还要这样说:促进人权不能仅限于规劝告诫。有时还必须辅以艰苦的外交努力。我知道,与压制性政权接触没有义愤填膺来得畅快。我也知道,如果一味制裁而没有主动接触,如果一味谴责而没有对话,只能保持一个有害的现状。任何压制性政权都不可能改弦易辙,除非它们有可以选择的出路。
In light of the Cultural Revolution’s horrors, Nixon’s meeting with Mao a eared inexcusable -- and yet it surely helped set China on a path where millio of its citize have been lifted from poverty and co ected to open societies. Pope John Paul’s engagement with Poland created ace not just for the Catholic Church, but for labor leaders like Lech Walesa. Ronald Reagan’s efforts on arms control and embrace of perestroika not on
ly improved relatio with the Soviet Union, but empowered di idents throughout Eastern Europe. There’s no simple formula here. But we must try as best we can to balance isolation and engagement, pre ure and incentives, so that human rights and dignity are advanced over time.
鉴于文化大革命的种种恐怖,尼克松与***的会晤似乎不可饶恕——但是,这确实帮助中国走上了另一条道路,千百万中国人摆脱了贫困并与开放社会建立了联系。教皇约翰?保罗(Pope John Paul)与波兰的接触不仅为天主教教会,也为列赫?瓦文萨(Lech Walesa)等工会领袖拓宽了空间。罗纳德?里根(Ronald Reagan)为武器控制所作的努力以及对苏联改革的欢迎不仅与苏联改善了关系,也给整个东欧的持不同政见者增添了力量。这里并没有一个简单的公式,但我们必须尽可能在孤立与接触、施压与鼓励之间找到平衡,以使人权和尊严能够与时俱进。
Third, a just peace includes not on
ly civil and political rights -- it must encompa economic security and o ortunity. For true peace is not just freedom from fear, but freedom from want.
第三,正义的和平不仅包括公民和政治权利——它还必须包括经济安全保障与机会。因为真正的和平不仅摆脱恐惧,而且无乏匮之虞。
It is undoubtedly true that development rarely takes root without security; it is also true that security does not exist where human beings do not have acce to enough food, or clean water, or the medicine and shelter they need to survive. It does not exist where children can’t a ire to a decent education or a job that su orts a family. The a ence of hope can rot a society from within.
无可置疑,如果没有安全保障,发展难以扎根;同样肯定的是,在人们缺少生存所需的衣食,净水、医药和住所的地方,不会有安全。在孩子没有希望受到良好教育或人们没有可能得到工作养家的地方,不会有安全。无望会使社会从内部恶化。
And that’s why helping farmers feed their own people -- or natio educate their children and care for the sick -- is not mere charity. It’s also why the world must come together to confront climate change. There is little scientific di ute that if we do nothing, we will face more drought, more famine, more ma di lacement -- all of which will fuel more conflict for decades. For this reason, it is not merely scientists and environmental activists who call for swift and forceful act
ion -- it’s military leaders in my own country and others who understand our common security hangs in the balance.
因此,帮助农民养活本国人民——或帮助一个国家教育本国儿童并照顾病患——不仅仅是慈善之举。这也是全世界必须共同应对气候变化的原因。几乎毫无争议的科学事实是,如果我们无所行动,我们将面临更多的干旱、更多的饥荒、更大规模的流离失所——所有这一切都将在未来几十年引发更大冲突。为此,不仅是科学家和环保人士呼吁采取迅速和有力的行动——我国和其他国家的军事领袖也都知道,我们的共同安全处在紧要关头。
Agreements among natio . Strong i titutio . Su ort for human rights. Investments in development. All these are vital ingredients in bringing about the evolution that President Ke edy oke about. And yet, I do not believe that we will have the will, the determination, the staying power, to complete this work without something more -- and that’s the continued expa ion of our moral imaginatio an i istence that there’s something irreducible that we all share.
各国间的协议。强有力的机制。对人权的支持。投资于发展。所有这一切都是实现肯尼迪总统所说的逐渐演进的至关重要的要素。然而,我认为,如果没有另一个要素,我们就不会有意志、决心、持久力去完成这项工作——而这便是我们不断扩展的道德想象力;一个对我们共同享有某种无法削弱的东西的坚定信念。
As the world grows smaller, you might think it would be easier for human beings to recognize how similar we are; to understand that we’re all basically seeking the same thing that we all hope for the chance to live out our lives with some measure of ha ine and fulfillment for ourselves and our families.
随着世界越来越小,人们可能认为,人类会更容易认识到我们是多么相似;懂得我们基本上都在追求同样的东西;我们都希望在我们一生中,给我们自己和我们的家人带来某种程度的幸福感和满足感。
And yet somehow, given the dizzying pace of globalization, the cultural leveling of modernity, it perha comes as no surprise that people fear the lo of what they cherish in their particular identities -- their race, their tribe, and perha most powerfully their religion. In some places, this fear has led to conflict. At times, it even feels like we’re moving backwards. We see it in the Middle East, as the conflict between Ara and Jews seems to harden. We see it in natio that are torn asunder by tribal lines.
但是,由于全球化令人眩目的进程以及现代化带来的文化趋同,人们担心丧失他们所珍视的自身特征——他们的种族、部族,以及也许最强有力的,他们的宗教。在有些地方,这种担心导致冲突。有时,我们甚至好像在倒退。在中东,随着阿拉伯人与犹太人之间的冲突似乎深化,我们看到了这种情形。我们在因部族间的冲突而四分五裂的国家看到这种情形。
And most dangerously, we see it in the way that religion is used to justify the murder of i ocents by those who have distorted and defiled the great religion of Islam, and who attacked my country from Afghanistan. These extremists are not the first to kill in the name of God; the cruelties of the Crusades are amply recorded. But they remind us that no Holy War can ever be a just war. For if you truly believe that you are carrying out divine will, then there is no need for restraint -- no need to are the pregnant mother, or the medic, or the Red Cro worker, or even a person of on
e’s own faith. Such a warped view of religion is not just incompatible with the concept of peace, but I believe it’s incompatible with the very purpose of faith -- for the on
e rule that lies at the heart of every major religion is that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us.
最危险的是,我们看到,宗教是怎样被那些歪曲并玷污伟大的伊斯兰教,以及那些从阿富汗向我国发动攻击的人当作谋杀无辜的借口。这些极端分子不是第一批以上帝名义进行屠杀的人;对十字军(Crusades)的暴行有大量记录。但是这些提醒我们,圣战绝不会是正义的战争。因为如果当人真的认为自己是在替天行道时,就根本不必有所收敛——不必对孕妇、对医务人员、对红十字会工作者、甚或有自身宗教信仰的人留情。这样一种扭曲的宗教观不仅与和平的理念不相容,而且我认为它与信仰的目的本身不相容——因为每一个主要宗教的核心教义都是,己所不欲,勿施于人。
Adhering to this law of love has always been the core struggle of human nature. For we are fallible. We make mistakes, and fall victim to the temptatio of pride, and power, and sometimes evil. Even those of us with the best of intentio will at times fail to right the wrongs before us.
坚持爱的法则常常是人性挣扎的主要内容。人难免要犯错误,我们会做错事,我们会受自负、权力、有时甚至邪念所诱。即使是我们中那些最怀善意的人们有时也未能改斜纠偏。
But we do not have to think that human nature is perfect for us to still believe that the human condition can be perfected. We do not have to live in an idealized world to still reach for those ideals that will make it a better place. The non-violence practiced by men like Gandhi and King may not have been practical or po ible in every circumstance, but the love that they preached -- their fundamental faith in human progre -- that must always be the North Star that guides us on our journey.
然而,即使我们知道人性不是完美的,我们仍然可以相信,人类的状态是可以改善的;即使我们生活其中的世界不是个理想世界,我们仍然能够追求让它变得更美好的理想。甘地与马丁?路德?金等人所实践的非暴力也许不是在所有情形下都切合实际或者可行,但他们所宣扬的爱——即他们对于人类进步的基本信念——必须永远是指引我们前行的北斗星。
For if we lose that faith -- if we dismi it as silly or nave; if we divorce it from the decisio that we make on i ues of war and peace -- then we lose what’s best about humanity. We lose our se e of po ibility. We lose our moral compa .
因为,如果我们丧失了那个信念——如果我们觉得它愚蠢或过于天真而不屑一顾;如果我们在就战争与和平问题决策时抛开了它——那么我们就丧失了人性中最美好的东西,我们就失去了能为的信念,我们就失去了道德指南针。
Like generatio have before us, we must reject that future. As Dr. King said at this occasion so many years ago, “I refuse to accept de air as the final re o e to the ambiguities of history. I refuse to accept the idea that the ‘i e ’ of man’s present condition makes him morally incapable of reaching up for the eternal ‘oughtne ’ that forever confronts him.”
和以往世世代代的人们一样,我们必须拒绝接受这样的未来。多年前,金博士在同样的场合曾经说道:“我拒绝接受以绝望作为对历史含糊性的最后反应。我拒绝接受所谓反映人类现实状况的‘实然’(i e )使其无法从道义上达到永远需要面对的终极‘应然’(oughtne )。”
Let us reach for the world that ought to be -- that ark of the divine that still stirs within each of our souls. (A lause.)
让我们努力达到世界应该达到的境界——神圣的火花仍然在我们每一个人的灵魂中激荡。(掌声)
Somewhere today, in the here and now, in the world as it is, a soldier sees he’s outgu ed, but stands firm to keep the peace. Somewhere today, in this world, a young protestor awaits the brutality of her government, but has the courage to march on. Somewhere today, a mother facing punishing poverty still takes the time to teach her child, scrapes together what few coi she has to send that child to school -- because she believes that a cruel world still has a place for that child’s dreams.
今天,在某一个地方,此时此刻,在现实的世界上,一名士兵知道自己势薄力单,但仍然坚定地维护和平。今天,在某一个地方,在这个世界上,一位年轻的示威者知道将受到政府的残酷镇压,但她仍然有勇气大步前进。今天,在某一个地方,一位母亲受尽贫困的折磨,但仍然不惜花时间教育自己的孩子,凑集仅有的一些零钱送孩子上学——因为她相信,在这个残酷的世界上,仍然有一线空间可以实现孩子的梦想。
Let us live by their example. We can acknowledge that o re ion will always be with us, and still strive for justice. We can admit the intractability of depravation, and still strive for dignity. Clear-eyed, we can understand that there will be war, and still strive for peace. We can do that -- for that is the story of human progre that’s the hope of all the world; and at this moment of challenge, that must be our work here on Earth.
让我们以他们为榜样生活。我们可以承认,压迫将经常伴随着我们,但我们仍奋力争取正义。我们可以认为,腐化难以消除,但我们仍积极要求获得尊严。保持清醒的头脑,我们可以知道,战争将会爆发,但我们仍努力争取和平。我们可以做到——因为这是人类进步的历程;这是全世界的希望;在当前面临挑战的时刻,这必须是我们在全球从事的工作。
Thank you very much. (A lause.)
多谢诸位。(掌声)
( Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:48:05 +0800 )
Description: 1.
I'll get right on it .我现在就去办。
I'm busy with writing the year-end report. I forgot to buy the Christmas cards. I’ll get right on it.刚才我忙着写年终总结,忘了买圣诞卡。我这就去办。
Yes, you should get right on it .是的,你该马上去办。
You know, the lunar New Year is coming; we must finish the jiaozhi advertisement soon.
你知道,阴历新年将至,我们必须赶在年前把我们饺子广告推出去。
You're right ,I'll get right on it .你说的是,我立即去办这件事。
Mon, there are on
ly 2 hours left before the entrance exam begi . I left my allowance card in my dormitory.
妈,还有两个小时高考就要开始了,可我把准考证放在宿舍了。
Don't worry about it ,I'll get right on it .别担心,我这就帮你去拿。
Sorry Allen ,I forgot to turn off the TV and there is no on
e in my apartment ,So I'll get right on it.真抱歉,艾伦。我忘记关电视了,而且我的房间里没有人。我得马上回去处理。
Sorry, I forgot to take the driver's lice e .I'll get right on it .
对不起,我忘了带驾驶证,我就回去拿。
Oh, I didn't take the medicine, I’ll get right on it, and you go first.
哎呀,我没有吃药,我得去吃药,你先走吧。
I'm impre ed…… .我印象很深/使人牢记
What do you think of Shenzhen? 你对深圳的印象怎样?
I'm impre ed by how many modern buildings there are in Shenzhen.我对深圳有这么多现代化建筑印象很深。
I saw a lady at the gate of your company, I impre ed by her beauty. She is a babe.在你公司门口我看到一位女孩,我对她印象很深,她真是一个漂亮宝贝。
Oh, I know who you mean. She is a newcomer.我知道你在说谁,她是一个新来的。
I'm impre ed by her ma ers.我对她的举止印象很深。
Impre 的其他用法:
His words are strongly impre ed in my mind.
他的话给我的印象很深。
Time has left its impre ion on her. 岁月在她身上留下了印迹。
Let me pay my share .让我付自己的那份钱(AA制)
The check is on me.我来买单吧。
No, it's on me.我来买吧。
Let's pay separately. You pay your share, and I pay mine.
那让我们分开来付吧,你付你的一份,我付我的。
Let's go to see the new movie ‘the Heater of the Sun’.
我们去看新电影吧,“阳光灿烂的日子”。
I heard the tickets are expe ive .听说票价很贵。
Don't worry about it. Let me pay my share.
别担心,我来付自己的一份。
Paying separately is your country's custom?
分开付钱是你们的习惯吗?
Yes , I'd like to pay my share.是的,我很乐意付我的一份。
How muck is the total 总共多少钱
I buy five tickets from Hong Kong to Singapore, how much is the total? 我买5张从香港去新加坡的票,总共多少钱?
It's 8000$.8000元。
Co idering its five tickets, could you give me a discount?
我一共买了5张,能否给我一个折扣?
I am sorry.恐怕不行。
I'd like to have di er first, and then play table te is, and finally play che , how much is the total? 我想先吃饭,再打乒乓球,最后玩一下棋,总共多少钱?
Wait a second. It's 28$.稍等一下。一共28元。
I'd like to make a tour Thailand for five days, how much is the total? 我想到泰国旅游5天,总共多少钱?
e air conditioner, on
e telephone and three chairs, how much is the total? 一台空调,一个***和三把椅子,总共多少钱?
be dying to/be dying for 极想/迫切想
Mary, I’m dying to see you every moment of the day.
玛丽,我时时刻刻都盼着见到你。
I feel the same. 我也是。
Will you marry me? 你能嫁给我吗?
I don't know what to say.我不知道该怎么说。
What you feel after today's window sho ing? 今天逛街后的感觉怎么样?
Same as you, I'm hungry and thirsty. Let's go to …… For some fast food. 同你一样,我又饿又渴,我们到麦当劳去吃快餐吧。
Good idea, I'm dying for a cola.我想喝点口乐。
I heard a lot about Hong Kong, I’m dying to see it.我了解很多关于香港的事,我真想去看一看。
(I dictate these dialogue from the tape. If there has some mistakes, please inform me. Thanks.)
It's up in the air 尚未确定
Up in the air 是习惯说法,指计划、问题等悬而未决、尚未确定。
The date of the wedding is still up in the air.婚礼的日期尚未确定。
When are you going to Australia? 你什么时候去澳洲?
It's up in the air.尚未确定。
Have you bought the new house? 你买了新房吗?
No, we have many choices but we can't decide which is best. So, it's up in the air.还没呢,我们有太多的选择,以致无法肯定哪一套最合适,所以还没有定下来。
When will you start to learn English? 你什么时候开始学英语?
Now I'm as busy as a bee. So it's up in the air.现在我特别忙,所以无法确定。
Pick up the pace 加快脚步
pace 的意思是步态、步伐、速度。Pick up the pace, 意思是加快脚步、加快速度。在英语中,表示催促的词组,除了pick up the pace. 还有Hurry up! Come on! 等。
We're late for the banquet. Pick up your pace! 我们赴宴迟了,快走吧!
You go first. I'll follow after I change my clothes.你先走,换好衣服后我会跟上你。
Ha y Valley Theme Park is going to close. Could you pick up your pace so we can try to see the whole park? 欢乐谷就要关门了,快走吧,我们争取到每个地方去看看。
OK, I agree.好吧。
The orts le on will start soon. Pick up your pace, your orts teacher is hot-tempered.体育课就要开始了,快点吧,你们的体育教师可是个爆脾气。
The enemy is coming soon. Pick up your pace! 敌人就要到了,加快脚步前进!
Pick up your pace. It will start raining soon.快点走,开要下雨了。
We may be out of stock 可能脱销了
out of stock 这个短评的意思是卖完、无现货。你在购物的时候,常有这样的情况,当你千挑万选,选中了一件商品,但商店很可能已无货,售货员就可能脱口而出:We may be out of stock.
out of sth 是一个较为固定的组合,在口语中表示缺乏、没有,如out of danger 脱离危险,out of control 失去控制,out of sugar 糖用完了 out of work 失业了
Scene 1
A:I want to buy the current best-seller book, Secret.我想买那本时下最畅销的《秘密》。
B:I'm sorry. We may be out of stock.对不起,可能已经售完了。
Scene 2
A: Do you need any help? 我能帮忙吗?
B: Yes, do you have these shoes in size 6? 有6码的鞋码?
A: I'm not sure. We may be out of stock.我不能确定,恐怕已经脱销了。
Sentences
1. This book is out of stock. 这本书脱销了。
2.She's out of work.她下岗了。
3.We're out of practice.我们缺乏练习。
I have to run 我赶时间
I have to run 是一句非常实用的口语,意思是我得抓紧时间,我得赶时间。run 的含义是奔跑,这里的意思是因为时间太紧,必须赶快。
Scene 1
A:I sorry, I must leave now.对不起,我现在必须离开。
B:Do you have something pre ing?有要紧的事吗?
A:Yes, my bo called me back to work. I have to run.是啊,我老板Call我回去工作,我得赶时间。
Scene 2
A: You look restle . What's wrong with you? 你看起来坐立不安,怎么啦?
B: I'd like to talk longer, but I really do have to run. I have to be at a meeting. at noon.我想多聊一会儿,不过我得赶时间,下午还有一个会议。
Scene 3
A: Helen, I don't mean to be rude, but I have to run.
海伦,不是我没礼貌,我得赶时间。
B: Oh, I'm sorry that I've kept you.对不起,我把您耽搁了。
Sentences
1. Please hurry. I have to run for an exam.
请快一点,我得赶时间参加考试。
2.I have to run for the flight.我得赶飞机。
3.I have to run for an a ointment.我得赶时间去赴约。
I'll get back to you. 我会再和你联络
get back 是一固定词组,意思是返回、回来。I'll get back to you.意思是我会再和你联络。一般用于不能立即回答的问题。
Scene 1
A:Do you know when our governmental housing will be a igned?
你知道政府福利房分配方案何时出台吗?
B:I should know in a couple of days. I'll get back to you.
过几天我应该会知道,到时候再告诉你吧。
Scene 2
A: Could you give me a brochure describing your company?
可不可以把你们公司的宣传册给我一份?
B: I'm sorry. I don't have any here. I’ll get back to you.
对不起,我这儿没有,不过我会再和你联络。
Scene 3
A: Hello, this is Helen, are you Larry? 嗨,我是海伦,是路朗吗?
B: Yes, what can I do for you? 是的,能帮你什么吗?
A: If you would, please give some ideas about my program.能为我的节目出点主意吗?
B: Sorry, Helen, I'm afraid I can't talk long. I have to go to a meeting now. I'll get back to you.对不起,我恐怕不能和你多谈,我得去开会了,我会再与你联络。
Sentences
1. I’m going to Beijing on busine . I'll get back to you.我要去北京出差,回头再找你吧。
2. I have no information about this affair right now. I'll get back to you a couple of days.这件事我现在没有任何消息,过几天再与你联系吧。
I've something pre ing. 我有急事
这句话一般用于一种推脱或礼貌地拒绝。如果你没有时间赴约会或者帮助别人解决问题,就可以用这句短语:I've something pre ing. 我有急事。
pre 有多种不同的意思,如常用的 pre conference 记者招待会, pre 在这里是名词,专指新闻界、新闻记者。pre 也可作动词用,是压、按、扣的意思,如在电梯里说:Please pre the button.请按电钮。pre 的另一个意思是急迫、极需行动或注意,如 The matter is pre ing. 事情紧急。
Scene 1
A:Let's go window sho ing tomorrow morning.明天上午我们去逛街吧?
(window sho ing 意思是逛街,只看橱窗里的陈列,不一定要买)
B:Sorry, I've something pre ing. I have a doctor's a ointment for a heart exam.抱歉,我有点急事,约了一位医生,准备检查一下心脏。
Scene 2
A: Could help me check Jack's pager number? I need a document from him.能不能帮我查一下杰克的呼机号码?我需要从他手里合一份重要文件。
B: Sorry. I have something pre ing. I must go to a meeting now.对不起,我有急事,必须赶去开会。
Sentences
1. I’ve something pre ing. I have to take my child to her piano le on.我有急事,得带孩子去学钢琴了。
2. I’ve something pre ing. I must go to the airport to pick up my brother.我有急事,我得出机场接我兄弟。
3. Please tell the chef to make my dishes quickly. I’ve something pre ing. I have to run for the train.请告诉厨师快点上菜,我有急事,要赶火车。
4. I've something pre ing. I have to run for the airplane. Let’s talk about the matter on the phone.我有急事,要赶飞机,我们在***里讨论那件事吧。
Wish me luck! 祝我好运!
显然,这是一句很随便的用于祝福的话。当自己遇到困难,希望达成某种愿望,也许就会对自己的朋友说:Wish me luck! 祝我好运吧!
Luck (n.),指运气、命运、好运。by good luck,侥幸、凑巧;by ill luck, 不巧、不幸;pre on
e's luck, 得寸进尺。
Scene 1
A:Today is the day we will play the big football game.今天我们要打一场足球赛。
B:Do you think you will win?你认为你们会赢吗?
A:I'm very nervous about it. Wish me luck! 我真担心,祝我好运吧!
Scene 2
A: I'm going to my interview now.我要去参加面试了。
B: For that acting job? 是那表演的活吗?
A: Yes, I hope I can get it. Wish me luck!是的,我希望能成功,替我祈祷吧!
Sentences
1. This is the first time I've fallen in love. Wish me luck!
这是我第一次坠入情网,祝我好运吧!
2. The university entrance exam starts tomorrow. Wish me luck!
明天高考就要开始了,祝我好运吧!
3. I invested all my money in the stock market. Wish me luck!
我把所有的钱都投到了证券市场,祝我好运吧!
4. I'm going to accept a challenging job in Beijing, wish me luck!
我将去北京接受一个具有挑战性的工作,祝我好运吧!
So they say. 大家都这么说。
So they say 是为了附和对方的说法,不论谈话的内容是什么,都可以用这句话,这里的they泛指一般人而言,并不特别是指某些人。要注意so的用法,so是副词,一般表示方式或状态,意思是这样、那样、这么、那么、因此、所以等。如:You're clever, so is your daughter.你很聪明,你女儿也一样。
Scene 1
A:I have heard that the telephone rates will fall gradually.我听说***费会一步步降下来。
B:So they say.大家都这么说。
Scene 2
A: The stocks may go up by the end of the year.年底之前股票可能还会上涨。
B: So they say.大家都这么说。
Scene 3
A: Jake is out of a job. Is that true? 杰克失业了,这是真的吗?
Scene 4
A: Jake is going to the U.S. for good. Is that true? 杰克要去美国定居,这是真的吗?
I'll say. 我也有同感。
I'll say 是一句非常实用的口语,表示极为赞同对方的观点。
Scene 1
A:Durian is my favorite fruit. I think it tastes very delicious.榴莲是我最爱吃的水果,我觉得味道实在是太好了。
B:I'll say.我也有同感。
Scene 2
A:There are on
ly 2 minutes left, and the Chinese football team have already scored 3 goals. I think they will win this game.还有两分钟,中国队已赢了三个球,我想他们羸了。
Scene 3
A: Australia is a nice place to live.澳大利亚是一个生活居住的好地方。
Scene 4
A: The movie Speed is the most exciting film I've ever seen.电影《生死时速》是我看过的最紧张刺激的片子。
B:I'll say.我深有同感。
Scene 5
A: This hard-hearted woman pushed her son into a ru ing car. She's so crazy.
这个狠心的女人把自己的儿子推向一辆正在行驶的汽车,她真是疯了。
B:I'll say.
她准是疯了。
Easy does it! 轻声点/慢慢来/别着急
Easy does it! 是一句习语,意思是小心谨慎、从容从事、宽容。如果希望对方动作能慢一点或者声音能小一点,就可以用这个句子。表达同样的意思的句子还有:
1. Take your time. 别着急
2. Take it/things easy. 慢慢来、放心好了
3. Hold on
e's horses. 耐着性子
4. Keep your shirt on. 忍耐
Scene 1
A:Mom, watch me skip rope!
妈,看我跳绳!
B:Easy does it! Your Dad is sleeping on the sofa.
轻声点,你爸爸在沙发上睡着了。
Scene 2
A:Please help me out of the bed.
请帮我起床。
B:Easy does it! You can't do anything right now. The doctor says you need to rest for 2 days.
别着急,你现在什么也不能做,医生说你还需要休息2天。
Scene 3
A: Julia, from now on I will exercise in the dormitory for 1 hour everyday.
Julia,从现在起,我每天要在宿舍锻炼1小时。
B:Easy does it! You don't want to make yourself tired.
慢慢来,你不想使自己太累吧。
Sentences
1. Please help me move the TV from the dining hall to the living room. Easy does it!
请帮我把电视从餐厅搬到卧室,轻点!
2. Easy does it! Your grandmother is ill and she's resting.
轻声点,你奶奶病了,她正在休息呢。
You will get it soon. 很快你也就会了
这是一句用于安慰、鼓励的话。在朋友、同学、同事之间可以经常用到。如有人说,你打保龄球的技术真好,你可以马上来一句:You'll get it soon./你很快也就会了。
Scene 1
A:I've been in Shenzhen for 6 months, but I still can't eak Cantonese.我在深圳呆了6个月,还不会讲广东话。
B:Don't worry, you'll get it soon.不必担心,你很快会学会的。
Scene 2
A:I'm fresh out of school. I know nothing about dealing with people. 我刚从学校毕业,我对处理人际关系一点也不懂。
B:It's very natural. You'll get it soon.这很自然,你很快就会懂的。
Scene 3
A: I wish I could cook as well as you can.我希望能有你那样的好厨艺。
B:Keep on practicing. You will get it soon.不断练习,你很快也就会了。
Scene 4
A: I wish I know half as much as you.我希望我知道的有你一半多。
B:Oh, come on. You'll get it soon.你很快就会的。
Scene 5
A: I wish I could type as fast as you.我希望打字能和你一样快。
B:You'll get it soon. Keep on practicing.只要坚持练习,会和我一样快的。
It's a date. 一言为定
It's a date. 用于和比较亲密的朋友约定某件事情。It's a date. 属于较随便的表达,可以拉近彼此之间的距离。但不太适合用在较正式的场合。另外,男性之间也不使用这种说法。
Scene 1
A:Would you like to have Sichuan food with me?愿意和我一起去吃川菜吗?
B:It sounds good. So what time? 听起来不错,几点钟?
A:How about 5:30?5点半如何?
B:It's a date.一言为定。
Scene 2
A:When will you finish your work tonight?今晚几点下班?
B:By 8 o'clock.8点以前吧。
A:Then afterwards, why don't we go for a drink at the Shanghai Hotel?
这样吧,我们约好稍后在上海宾馆喝一杯,如何?
B:OK,it's a date.好呀,就这么说定了。
Scene 3
A:Are you free on Saturday morning?周六有空吗?
B:Yes, I am.是的。
A:How

参考资料